In this program, you will learn about the operation of contactors and how these devices are used to control motor operations. This program will present you with the wiring and connection methods used with contactors and motor starters along with their wiring diagrams.
Also covered are the important topic of ARC suppression and protection. You will also be presented with the different types of motor starters, which include full-voltage, combination, reversing, two-speed, and reduced-voltage which are commonly used in motor control applications. You will also learn about plugging speed switches, also known as zero-speed switches, and how these devices are used in circuits to stop motors.
You will also learn about protective switches including fuses, circuit breakers, and motor overload heaters, as well as their respective overload contacts. Methods of troubleshooting these components are also covered.
Fuse curves are presented to solidify the understanding of fuse operation and protection and how to select the proper fuse. Also covered is the effect of ambient temperature on thermal overloads and how they can affect motor control protection.
You will learn how to create safe motor circuits to control the speed and direction of motors. You will be presented with motor control wiring diagrams and their relationship with the ladder control diagram. You will also learn about how two-wire and three-wire control circuits operate, review what makes motors fail, and learn how to prevent potential motor failure.
Introduction To Motor Control Operations & Protection
This introduction covers magnetic starters, the different types, uses & symbols in wiring diagrams. It details motor protection provided by fuses, breakers, and overload heaters (Eutectic and Bimetal) and the application and operation of zero speed switching used in motor plugging circuits. Also learn the 2-wire and 3-wire control used in motor operations and review causes of motor failures in the field and ways to prevent potential problems.
Lessons in this program:
- Magnetic Contactors
- Contactor Connections
- ARC Suppression and Protection
- Motor Starters
- Types of Magnetic Motor Starters
- Installation and Wiring
- Plugging Speed Switches
- Basics of Fuses and Circuit Breakers
- Fuse Curves
- Advantages of Dual Element Protection
- Circuit Breakers
- Overloads-Components & Operation
- Sizing Proper Heater Coils
- Safer Control Circuits
- Magnetic Starter Wiring Diagram
- Wiring and Ladder Diagram Example
- Two-Wire and Three-Wire Control
- Causes of Motor Failures
A Must-Have for All Your Motors
- Hundreds of different starter configurations are available—identify and learn to quickly replace and rewire the ones used in your facility.
- Avoid safety hazards—choose the right contactors and starters for your application.
- When a starter is wired incorrectly anything can happen—make sure it's done right the first time.
- Make sense out of NEMA standards.
- Implement proper arc suppression to protect against shorts and fire hazards.
- Class 10, 20, 30 heaters—which one offers the right protection for your motor application.
- Fuses, breakers, and overloads look simple, but they each offer a different type of protection—make sure everyone understands their function and uses them properly.
- Select the wrong protection and equipment will be damaged.
- Learn how spending a few extra dollars can add invaluable backup motor protection.
- Your employees will understand electrical and wiring control diagrams to safely and properly troubleshoot motor control circuits.
- Causes of motor failure: symptoms and prevention.
- Learn why and when troubleshooting 2-wire control can be dangerous.
CD-Rom Interactive Option
- One CD-Rom Disk with 19 Lessons
- Includes Downloadable Comprehensive Handbook
- Includes built-in Certificate of Completion generation
- Includes built-in Final Exam validation proof document
- Built-in Interactive Review Questions after each lesson
- Built-in Interactive Final Exam
- Review Questions and Final Exam with Automatic Reinforcement Mode (ARM)
to enhance learning experience
- Interactive Multimedia presentation
- One DVD with Two Parts:
Part 1 (31:21 min)
Part 2 (33:11 min)
- Includes comprehensive Video Handbook and Guide with Review Questions and Answers.
- Includes Certificate of Completion. Electronic version allows for customization of certificate for student.
Introduction to Motor Control Operations and Protection
To view the CD-Rom Interactive demo Click here
To view the DVD demo Click here.
To view Customer Comments for Electrical Program Click here.